Saturday 1 August 2015

Should I buy a car?

New Zealand is a land of adventure. There's so much to explore. So much to do. All you need is a way to move and a carry your things. Lots of people get that by putting on a backpack and sticking out a thumb to hitch a ride. But that's not me.

It will feel like spring soon, I'm sure, because even now I still wear shorts and a t-shirt on warm days. When spring really arrives I want to be able to explore more of North Island, than I have yet. The key for me will be to buy or rent a car. With that I could go all over and still be sure to get back by Sunday.

A trip to Orewa
This weekend the furthest I got was Orewa. It's an hour North of Auckland. An ideal suburb retreat. Insignificant. I chose to get off there, because the bus I had chosen didn't go any further.

Nice little town, lots of shops in the central square
Long, flat, family friendly beach
The walk around the bluff was a good little adventure

The trip to Orewa is what got me thinking about getting a car. Sure it's nice to walk out the door without knowing where you are going. Then choosing a random bus that goes far and getting off at the last stop. But it's not very convenient is it? The inefficiency of the bus network irks me and even though I enjoy reading on the bus, an hour is about my limit before I get bored or fall asleep.

I'm sure a car is the right decision. Now I just have to do the math: buy or rent?

No comments:

Post a Comment