Wednesday 10 June 2015

Fighting the immigration robots

As always, I have had a busy week here in Auckland. I have started in my new job at Needscope International and I am super excited about that. So excited, that I have forgotten to take pictures and put time aside to tell you about it. But don't worry.

I'll tell you more, promise
I am going to stay with Needscope for a long time, so you will see plenty of pictures from the office and read about the fun I have with my colleagues. Of course I am going to tell you about my first week, but not today.

A dark morning
I am in the middle of breakfast and my mind is not on work or fun, but immigration. I told you last week that I had a 'minor' issue with getting my master's degree recognised. I still have. Only it has escalated to a point where I have been issued a final warning. My robot-like case officer has informed me that "they are unlikely to approve my residency application" if I don't pay for an International Qualifications Assessment.

I have chosen not to roll over and pay, but to take the fight. It is unlike me to be that stubborn, but I care about this. I know that I cannot change the bureaucratic, robot like manner of my case officer, but I can be proven right. I hope this will eliminate the problem for others with a Danish education.

Thankfully, my Danish university sees the issue in the same way as I do. They are willing to support me with an official statement from the Dean. I hope it will somehow unlock the cogs of my robotic case officer. If not, then I am of a mind to take my chances at an appeal.

This makes little rational sense, because an appeal would cost 700 NZD, about the same as an IQA and the chance of success is obviously lower. However, I still believe there is a chance my visa will be approved without an appeal and that is what I am betting on. And I want the satisfaction of being right!

My robot is not allowed to make the decision himself, but most involve another robot. I have no illusions about the other one being more human, but I think there is a chance that the other robot will simply interpret my papers correctly.

But most of all, I hope the support of Aarhus University will make the difference.

Not to worry
I think this immigration battle may end badly for me, but I am not worried. It is more important for me to make a stand for justice, than to get my residency application approved. Afterall, I already have the job I want and I can stay for years without a residency class visa.

The robots will never deport me.

No comments:

Post a Comment