Tuesday 2 June 2015

Between jobs

This past week I have had a short vacation. I didn't know how long it would last until today. My (second) work visa application has just been approved. That means I will start working tomorrow at Needscope and I am excited about that.

An early weekend
After quitting my job at Creative Agency Secrets I needed some time to rest. I felt like I was ready for a weekend after my final day of work Tuesday. I had been stressed, but now I could finally unwind. I did almost nothing for a couple of days. I stayed at home, read books and watched TV series and when I was feeling energetic I cleaned the kitchen.

This is not my ideal type of vacation, but I had planned to live that way for a couple of days. It was my way of gaining appetite for new adventures.

Devonport
When the real weekend came, I was done relaxing. I decided to visit Devonport, a charming part of Auckland I had never seen before. Devonport is just 10 minutes from the city centre by ferry, but far from everywhere else.

I went on Sunday and it was indeed sunny. To me it felt like summer had come back around and I felt comfortable wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I was not the only one enjoying the weather

In Devonport there are two main attractions. The North Head and Mount Victoria. Both of them offer a spectacular view of the city across the bay.

View from Mount Victoria

First I visited North Head, a small roundish mountain that marks the entrance to Auckland harbour. It is an ideal vantage point to overlook the bay and in the past the military took advantage of that. They built tunnels, installed cannons and other defensive measures that today make it a nice tourist destination. The old bunkers are used for picnics, providing shelter from the wind, but allowing for an amazing sea view. The tunnels provide a convenient access to the sea.

Venture into the tunnels at your own risk
It's dark inside, but there is light at the end...

On top of Mount Victoria the military has installed a large canon. The story goes about how difficult it was to get the massive cannon up there in the beginning of the 20th century before WWI. The 13 tonnes cannon was dragged up the mountain by a score of men and two horses. Targets were placed on Rangitoto to use for practice (the island is void of life, so I don't know why this irks me). When the canon was fired for the first time, the massive shockwave from the blast broke the windows in a lot of Devonport houses. The citizens complained and the canon was never fired again.

This canon is hiding, perhaps from embarrassment?

I'm so ready
I've sorted out a lot of small things in my short vacation. Done my washing and cleaning, bought some new clothes, a new bag, stuff for the kitchen and a return ticket to Australia (more on that later). Nothing is missing. I am so ready to start my new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment