Sunday 15 November 2015

Goat Island snorkeling

This weekend I went snorkeling at Goat Island with Eri and Rob from work. It was extraordinary.

There were colourful fish everywhere. So many that I have never seen before. The largest ones were the snappers. One was almost as long as my arm (seriously, not fisherman's talk). And they are not shy. I touched one and was just as surprised as the fish was.

Caves
We swam around on the leeward side of the island were the waters were most calm. Here there were some caves which begged exploring. Unfortunately I didn't bring a flashlight and the caves were completely dark. Completely. Imagine complete darkness and you in the water. I was done exploring real soon.

Photo credit: Jessicaoneil

A ray and some eggs

At one point I found a cluster of squid eggs. I whirled them up from the sand and a large snapper came by and ate one. That happened between my hands.

Later an eagle ray came by. The way it glides is so graceful. We were reverent. Rays are out of this world. Also, we didn't know if it was a stingray, so we kept a respectful distance as it passed.


The magic of Goat Island is found below the surface


I love driving in New Zealand, its scenic everywhere
Photo by Eri

Did anyone say paradise?
Photo by Eri



I had such a great time. I feel like I should thank the guy we rented equipment from. He had everything we needed. For a fair price we all got suited up and I even got myself a weight belt so I could dive freely. Thanks Octopus Hideaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment