Monday 14 March 2016

Summer

Life is now again moving at its familiar, leisurely pace. Not too slow to be of interest and not too fast for me to write you an update.

January started slow. I was working more than usual, although I had no major active projects. At home I churned through books, tv series and solitary games. I like to think that I was not wasting time, but preparing for the busy times ahead.

Then Jordan moved in. He's a cool, Maori guy, who showed me how to jump off the wharf and make a massive splash! Jordan has perfected the art of "bombing". The wharf is 4 meters above the sea level, but onlookers are not safe from getting wet when he jumps. Ooooh!

Maori kids jumping off a bridge
Filmed when I was in Raglan this summer
Did you see the swimmer?

Family
The most important event of this summer was a visit from my family. Sorry for not trying to explain how much it meant to me.



Love you
Rasmus, mom and dad

Hawke's Bay
Tonight, I have just arrived back home from a mini-vacation to Hawke's Bay. Sin Jat, his mother and I went on a road trip to the sunny, wine district around the charming art-deco style city of Napier.



I have tasted so many wines these past few days, I can already feel them slipping out of my memory. In a vain attempt to keep all of the impressions, I will share some thoughts with you:
- Hawke's Bay produces a dry style of Sauvignon Blanc, which is not as good as the fruity Marlborough style
- The Chardonnay from Hawke's Bay is excellent, but the very oaky ones are not for me
- Gewurzstraminer can make quite strong wine, which is great with Asian spicy meals
- Hawke's Bay Pinot Noir is generally very good, but the intensity of the deep, plum-like taste varies
- Syrah from the Gimblet's Gravels area in Hawke's Bay is spicy, in a peppery way, and much more interesting than your typical, sweet and strong Australian Shiraz
- A few of the Hawke's Bay vineyards make good Merlot wines. Often Merlot is used in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon or Cabernet Franc to create a classic but boring red
- Hawke's Bay Rose's are made from many types of grapes, but always become enjoyable light wines
- Late harvest describes dessert wine, typically riesling, which tastes like liquid honey, because the grape was left out to dry on the vine
- Bigger wine glasses are better

No comments:

Post a Comment