Sunday 26 April 2015

A Nice Long Weekend

This weekend New Zealand celebrates ANZAC day. In memory of the soldiers who fought for New Zealand and Australia in WWI one hundred years ago. It was marked with a large parade in the Auckland Domain and at many smaller ceremonies. But despite strong media coverage, I am still not sure how important the celebration really is. The Kiwis I have spoken to all say that they ought to be at the parade, but sleeping in is just a better way to spend an early Saturday morning. I feel the same way, so I didn't get up at 6am and I didn't get to witness this historic event.

Three day weekend
I do get to enjoy the national holiday though, as it gives me Monday off. It is nice with a long weekend, because I still feel stressed at work, where I have to learn much, but still meet my deadlines.

Body surfing
Saturday I went for a swim at Mairangi Bay. It was completely unlike the calm swim, where I met the kingfish, because easterly winds had given rise to some nice waves. Mairangi is not known to have good surf, but I met both surfers, kite surfers and a couple of life guards in surf skis on the water. I had a blast, duck diving under the waves going out and body surfing back to the shore until I was both exhausted and cold. Good thing I could get into a nice hot spa and sauna once I got back to the house.

Saturday night out
In the night Ross, Antonio and I went into the city to party. We had a great time with lots of dancing, Italian charm and a few things to regret and/or tell good stories about later.

Three happy guys and a curious girl

Sunday night in
Monday morning we pulled ourselves together and went to church with Sin Yat. The morning service is at half past nine, so we managed to get in a good amount of sleep. Still, it was a good thing the service was an engaging service, because otherwise we might have nodded off. In the evening Sin Yat served one of his famous curries, the savoury chicken one, and we all played a boardgame together.

No comments:

Post a Comment