Tuesday 17 February 2015

Vacation in Wellington

My week in Wellington has been absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed the art that the city is known for by visiting both the city art gallery and the Dowse art gallery in the suburb Lower Hutt. There are also many sculptures and beautifully designed buildings in Wellington that give color to city center walks.

Civic Square features a large ball of iron ferns suspended in midair
Along the waterfront modern architecture and heritage art mixes
Cuba street is festive and colorful day and night
It is filled with street artists, fashion shops and cafés

Zealandia
The wildlife sanctuary of Zealandia is very close to the city, but a different world altogether. When you step inside the reserve you are brought back in time to before the pākehā ("People of European descent" in Maori) came to New Zealand. To a time when the country was covered in forest and flightless birds thrived in the absence of mammal predators.

Flightless Takahē birds stomp around in an enclosure
There is a Kerurū pigeon above the path
Look closely to see the Tuatara reptile
This kākā parrot flew right by me

Zealandia caters to tourists by having some exhibitions, feeding stations and explanation signs scattered throughout the reserve. There are is also a museum, guided tours and even night tours with a high chance of seeing Kiwis. But for the most part you are on your own walking the many tracks of the park discovering the wildlife by yourself. I think Zealandia balances perfectly between being a zoo and a wildlife reserve creating an ideal space to go for a walk and a picnic with a high probability of seeing  wild, endemic New Zealand birds.

Mr Grey for Valentine
On Valentine's Day the girls and I went to see 50 Shades of Grey in the impressive Reading Cinema. I found it emotionally engaging and very entertaining, although the characters were a bit stereotypical. We went on to have drinks somewhere on Courtenay Place and celebrate the weekend.

Thanks for a great time, girls

Year of the sheep
The Chinese New Year, Gay Pride Parade and a Bay Festival were all supposed to take place in the same weekend. Unfortunately, the gays cancelled due to strong winds, but the Chinese had their parade. I would have liked to go to the Bay Festival as well, but I was exhausted from a long week full of experiences.

There was a real dragon and lots of Chinese kids
These dressed up men are a mystery to me
The girls with their fans were a crowd favorite

Moving in
When I came back to Auckland it was not to stay at a hostel. I had arranged to move into a room in a big house in Mairangi Bay. It feels luxurious to finally have my own room and I am excited at the prospect of living here for a while.

My bed is huge!

No comments:

Post a Comment